Solar energy is now being seen as a solution to the planets energy needs as on average during the day the sun can provide around a thousand watts of energy per hour per square meter. The USA energy department has estimated that in a radius of a hundred square miles there would be enough energy from the sun to meet the needs of the entire USA’s daily energy needs. There are solar energy advantages as well as disadvantages.
There are numerous solar energy advantages for homes via photovoltaic power systems such as:
• Solar energy panels have a long life span and most come with a twenty year warrantee
• Solar panels do not emit any noise and are completely silent unlike diesel motors and turbines
• These panels also provide a certain amount of shade for the roof which in turn keeps that section of your home cooler
• Once you have paid for your solar panels the system then generates money for the home owner
• Solar power affords one a huge saving and these panels are virtually maintenance free
• If your system includes a battery pack one will need to periodically service the batteries
• Increases the value of your property
Due to the many solar power advantages every home owner should consider installing these panels. However there are also some disadvantages that one needs to look at and need to be taken into consideration before installing a residential solar power system such as:
• Once you have installed a solar power system it cannot be removed and will become a fixture so if you decide to sell or move the system stays with your house
• Solar power does not work well for large devices such as electrical elements such as water heaters or electric house furnaces
• On cold days as well as cloudy days the solar panels only produce minimal electricity
• You will end up with additional costs should you be required to replace your composition roofing as the panels will have to be reinstalled and reconnected by a professional
• It costs far more per peak watt to have a system installed as opposed to conventional electricity
• If you live in areas where you have regular hail storms this could end up damaging your panels
If you want to install a residential solar panel system you need to check with your insurance company if your home owner’s policy covers solar panels in the event of a disaster or weather and fire related damage.
Let’s say for instance you want a 3.6 kW solar system installed it would cost around nine dollars per peak watt on average and the installation cost you would be looking at around $32 000 for the complete unit. However there are government rebates and tax incentives which help you with the installation costs. In addition you would still have to purchase minimal electricity.
Solar power advantages are far more than opposed to the disadvantages and one can go online and browse through the various websites that offer advice as well as valuable tips and resources. One can also look at installing these panels yourself. Review all the benefits and evaluate the ways in which you can use solar energy before you install such a system.